Friday, July 15, 2011

Take It Like a Mom: I have better uses for my time

Take it Like a MomTake It Like a Mom, by Stephanie Stiles
My rating: 1 out of 5 stars

After reading The Midwife's Confession all the way to the end so recently (and feeling disappointed), I decided to give up on Take It Like a Mom on page 59.

I was surprised to learn that Stephanie Stiles is a professor, because this book was very disappointing. It rings "chick lit" loud and clear. Former lawyer turned stay-at-home mom who is completely klutzy and clueless, but with a heart of gold. She gets into drama with her fellow stay-at-home moms, all of whom seem to be fighting a lack of fulfillment because of their life choices but channel their pent-up energy into their children.

She was shallow and the plot was just as shallow. By the time I reached the first day of the (cooperative) preschool (to which she did not have to register in advance--in whose world???), and she heaps scorn on the kid who is wearing a velvet cape on the playground and whose mom does not shave her legs...I was done. My kid could very well be the one wearing the cape on the playground.

My time is better spent on a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment