Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Upcoming movies based on books

More magazine, which is one of my favorite sources of reading material (not only the magazine itself, but also its book recommendations), has an article listing "Books Coming to a Theater Near You."

In summary:

One Day (Vintage Contemporaries Original)One Day by David Nicholls--I've never heard of this book, but the movie stars the wonderful Anne Hathaway. Sounds like a classic romantic comedy.

The Abstinence TeacherThe Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perrotta--I gave this book four stars. I wasn't entirely thrilled with the film of Little Children, so I'm hoping I like the film version of this one better.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling--I'm actually rereading that book right now in preparation for the upcoming movie (Part 1). I've only read it once...and I raced through it and don't remember a lot of the details. I'm savoring my reread and can't wait for the movie!

Water for Elephants: A NovelWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen--I really enjoyed this book and will plan to see the movie unless it's panned. I'll try not to pinch my nose too much when I see Robert Pattinson (famous for the "Twilight" movies).

The HelpThe Help by Kathryn Stockett--I will be interested to see how they handle this book on the screen. One of the glaring issues with The Help is the fact that the white women don't appear to speak in any kind of vernacular, while the black women do. It's been a controversial book among African-Americans, because it was written by a privileged white woman. They should be able to fix some of these weaknesses in the film.

Jane Eyre: (Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition)Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte--I didn't get around to reading this until 2009, and I've never seen a film version.

The Girl with the Dragon TattooThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, by Stieg Larsson--We saw the Swedish version of this book in August, so I'm not sure if I will race out to see the American version. I'll wait to see the reviews and then maybe see it on DVD.

Something BorrowedSomething Borrowed by Emily Giffin--I've read one of Giffin's books (Baby Proof), and it was okay. Might be a cute romantic comedy with Kate Hudson and John Krasinski, even though the ending is sure to be predictable.

The Hobbit: 70th Anniversary EditionThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien--My seven-year-old, Kieran, is DESPERATE for this movie to come out!! I read The Hobbit years ago and we reread it to Kieran recently.

The Boy with the Cuckoo-Clock Heart (Borzoi Books)The Boy with the Cuckoo Clock Heart by Mathias Malzieu--This is a gothic novel turned into a French animated film.

Back to immerse myself in Harry Potter!

No comments:

Post a Comment