Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Wedding Cake: Light as white cake

I needed a break from the last two heavier-content books I read, so I raced through Lynne Hinton's Wedding Cake. It's the most recent book in a series that began with Friendship Cake, which I read a few years ago.

It's about a group of women affiliated with a church in Hope Springs, North Carolina, who became close when they wrote a cookbook together (the plot of the first book). It's a diverse bunch of women: a couple of married women, an African-American woman, a lesbian, and a young female pastor.

The pastor has moved to New Mexico to run a battered women's shelter, and one of the North Carolinan women is desperate to get her married off. The others endure their various challenges. A daughter announces her wedding to her mom by sending a wedding invitation. Another woman's husband's secrets rise up out of the past. And a woman who is still grieving the death of her best friend and love of her life is surprised to see her friend's ex-husband at her doorstep.

Wedding Cake is light as white cake and easy to read. It was okay. I don't think I'll read any more of this series. I'm ready for some dense, nutty carrot cake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment